Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

X-Plus Masterpiece Quilt from Simply Pieced

I am so in love with this X-Plus Masterpiece quilt!!!!!  In love!!  It is made by Janet from Simply Pieced.  I absolutely love her use of color.  Make sure to check out her other super cute finished quilts and her blog, Simply Pieced.

The anticipation of finishing this quilt has been such a motivation for me.  It was always a side project since it didn't have a deadline and it was a personal quilt for myself, but I was determined to finish it up before the Christmas projects started.

For this quilt, I used every single Denise Schmidt collection fabric I could find at Joann's within this color scheme.  I slowly started collecting these fabrics over a year ago in 1/4 yard increments.   Every time I stepped into the store, I would swing by the DS collection aisle and see if there was anything new and snatch it up.

I knew I wanted a scrappy feel for this quilt, which the x-plus quilt pattern lends itself to nicely, but I also wanted to create a sense of order.  I wasn't sure if using the oranges and yellows to highlight the plus signs would work out, but I was blown away once I saw the blocks come together.   



The various shades of blues and grays also add a lot of texture to the quilt top.



The quilt back is all the scraps.  I just started piecing everything together and this is what I came up with.  I didn't really have much of a plan when I started, but I really love how it turned out. 



The binding utilizes the orange and yellow fabrics to tie it all together.  I thought about going with a solid binding, but the patterned fabric was just too much fun to pass up.


This quilt simply makes me smile.  I've already snuggled under it on the couch and it is proudly displayed on my quilt rack in my sewing room.
Photobucket

16 comments:

Julianne said...

Beautiful!!

lalaluu said...

Love this pattern! You really did it justice, too. Congrats on your finish!

Sew Filomena said...

Wow, I just love it. I have been planning to do a x-plus quilt for my son after I made a little mini of the pattern for a swap was a part of a few months ago. Your beautiful quilt has given me the little push to start. It is beautiful... I think I have already said that... well anyway enjoy your quilt....

Karee said...

Fabulous!

Vicki said...

The scrap happiness of this quilt is amazing. I do love random and this is just that.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Scrappy quilts are my favorite! Yours is stunning!

tealeafquilts said...

SEW satisfying when you make a quilt that you love and it is finished to enjoy! Love it!

KeyQuilter said...

Awesome quilt! Love the prints. HOpe you got some special "deals" on fabric at Joann's. Last time I was there the prices on good fabric were higher than the local quilt shop! Have you seen Schmidt's patterns such as "In the Corner"- just HSTs and it's $15.95!! Crazy, huh? Great idea to use the left-overs on the back. Now you've got a double-sided quilt!

Bonnie Irby said...

Love this one. I've been wanting to make this quilt. I think it's my next one.

Lisa C said...

Really pretty. Great job.

Michele said...

I think your plan worked out very well. Enjoy your pretty finish.

Kathleen said...

Super job!!

Lettyb said...

Oh I just love this so much!!

Unknown said...

Yes, I also just made this quilt using DS fabrics, mainly "Chicopee" fat quarters I bought online as a bundle. I also used various grey backgrounds collected from local quilt shops and separated the warm colors for the crosses and the cool colors for the x's. It was such a fun quilt to make and every block looks different. Your quilt is just gorgeous, congrats!

I have found good quality fabric at JoAnn's but only at their higher price point. However, DS does design some lines just for them so it is worth it to at least look.



Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

This is such a pretty quilt - congratulations!

ดูหนังออนไลน์ฟรี said...

good site There are many visitors A lot of people want to know about this.ดูหนังออนไลน์